Tuesday, March 15, 2011

O Death!! Where is thy Sting!!

“Naked a man comes from his mother’s womb,
and as he comes, so he departs.
He takes nothing from his Labor
that he can carry in his Hand.”


  • It breaks my heart to add that today March 15 2011, the world became a little bit darker when one of its most beautiful lights, my Grandma passed away. While I am devastated, I am also relieved that she will no longer suffer the effects of the sickness she has been struggling with for the past years.She wasn't a chubby person but she suffered a terrible weight loss: she started to really look scary. She would no longer keep her teeth in her mouth, she was not coherent at all. She made no sense and had no idea at all who I was. Grandma had begun the slippery descent into the end of her life. My lively, feisty, funny, chatterbox of a Grandmother was gone and replaced by this shell of a person. Her eyes were dead empty. Gone was the sparkle, the twinkle, the life.She was deteriorating before my eyes and I could do nothing to stop it or to help her. There was no quality of life, she had no clue who we were, who she was, or what was going on around her. She was unable to walk, or care for herself.
                                                    

  • It's hard for me to reflect upon my grandmother's life because I was part of it for a little less than half its span.Our family is a tree, with all the branches and leaves leading back to a strong and sturdy woman with roots deep in the ground.Knowing that my own children will never know her, never be able to feel that embrace. It makes me sad. Her body may be gone, but she lives on in the deepest fiber of our being. Her life and blood and memory live on in us, her children,grandchildren and great grandchildren.. We're her legacy and life's work, and I'm proud and grateful every day to belong to such noble blood.
    It is enough for me now that I knew what her house smelled like, the broadness of her smile, the light in her eyes,the sound of her laugh, the firmness of her voice. She had a strong and powerful will and while this disease robbed her of everything, it could not rob her of the place she has in our heart.
  •  As the dove of life that represents all that you are now soars to heaven above, it is now your time to rest, sit back in that big cozy armchair which is now heaven for you, and know that the world is a better place for the legacy you’ve created. You are gone to a better place now; a place I hope to see. You're not dead and gone for you're resting peacefully.
“Only in Death will we have our own names since only in Death are we no longer part of the Effort.
 In Death we become Heroes.”

1 comment: